Thursday, December 25, 2014

First Christmas

Although Peter and I had known each other for some time, we have never spent Christmas together. He would either be back in the USA with his family, or I would have some vacation booked with friends. This year, we decided to spend Christmas together for the first time(!), since he would be moving to Arkansas and we would not be seeing each other for 12 weeks. :(

I have been dreading his move for a long time. It would not be just him moving, but the two fuzzies as well. I am worried about fuzzies adapting to the temperate climates, about fuzzies being stressed out by the move, about.. almost everything. I just want Peter and the fuzzies to be safe.

I was just glad to be able to spend Christmas with them. That itself was a gift. 


There was no Christmas parties nor Yuletide fanfare. We spent the Christmas Eve afternoon at the pool (since he would spending the next three months in winter conditions) before heading back to shower before dinner. 

The only thing remotely Christmassy about our now-rather empty apartment is the lovely felt Santa wind chime created by Ashley, and towo wrapped up presents from my brother and Charlotte. I excitedly asked Peter if we could open presents before we headed out for dinner. I guessed he was tired of me asking about unwrapping presents since the start of the week, so he agreed for us to do so. It was just one present for us each, but yet there was something so magical and exciting about unravelling a surprise gift. We tore the muji-gift wrappers open. I got a lovely black shawl which would definitely be useful for my work fashion, while Peter has gotten yet another neck pillow! :)

We laughed and discussed about our gifts. Suddenly, Peter asked if I was ready to open another gift. I was surprised. I have been so grateful to be able to spend Christmas with my beloved fuzzies (including him) and that itself was already a big big gift (cliche, I know but yet true) Besides having a wonderful husband and of course, our precious sweet pea, I could not really think of having any more blessings or worthier gifts. Also, Peter was never a gift-giver sort, so I was completely taken by surprise. I was also quite upset because I did not prepare any Christmas presents for him. 

He revealed a little bag which he opened carefully. It was a pendant. 


"This is a Celtic love knot," he began. "The diamond in the middle represents us. With every kid we have, we will add his or her birth stone in each of these gaps between the love knot. It will keep you company all the time I am not around." He continued to describe how his mum had a bracelet which allowed her to add a charm with every child she had, and that he wanted a similar jewellery for me. Before he could actually continue the story of his mum, I was already weeping with emotions (not sure if it was the fault of pregnancy hormones!), soaking his t-shirt and mine, blabbering stupidly,"But I didn't get you any gift!" 

It was a very touching speech he made, in fact, more touching than the proposal one. It was perhaps also made more emotional by his pending absence. All of these resulted in me being nothing but a blabbering wet mess. 

After we took time to recover from the emotional gifting session, we dressed up to grab dinner from Hatched at Holland Village. It was a quiet, rainy night. We headed for midnight mass soon after, and had a brief Skype with his parents to holler our Christmas greetings. 

We woke up on Christmas morning and stuffed ourselves at a Christmas luncheon at the Caroursel. 

I couldn't ask for a better Christmas. Have a jolly Christmas, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment